Although granite countertops have been available for decades, they are in high demand today and more popular than ever. While granite was once considered a luxury available only to the wealthy, it now attracts homeowners of all tastes and income levels.
Several impressive qualities help explain why granite has secured its place as a popular choice among homeowners, including natural beauty, durability, availability, and more affordable prices.
Market analysis reports list granite as one of the most popular countertop surfaces and predict that its popularity will grow despite the growing number of options in countertop materials.
A study by The Freedonia Group, Inc., a Cleveland-based industry research firm, states that demand for granite countertops for kitchens and bathrooms will continue to increase by 1.3 percent annually, determining that their use will increase to 540 million square feet by 2011. The company’s report “Residential Kitchen and Bathroom Countertops” forecasts that the demand for countertops will increase 2.4 percent by 2013, with countertops made of granite and other natural stone such as fastest growing segment.
Along with the unbeatable qualities and lower prices, the growing popularity of granite is due to some less obvious sources. One such source is reality television and the rise of cooking and remodeling shows. While chefs prepare dishes on granite surfaces and contractors perform home makeovers that inevitably include granite, homeowners crave their own granite kitchen countertops.
Granite is not just a trend, it is here to stay. And its staying power is due in part to its reliability. While homeowners are always looking for beautiful countertops, today’s lifestyle demands surfaces that also withstand heavy use and require little maintenance. Granite meets both demands perfectly, withstands high temperatures, resists stains and only requires regular cleaning and periodic sealing.
Homeowners can’t deny that granite offers everything they could dream of in a countertop. These are just some of the impressive qualities of granite:
- Unmatched durability. Granite is the second hardest surface, behind only diamond. Granite resists heat-related damage, stains, dents, and cracks.
- Natural and unique beauty. Granite is a natural stone and no two pieces are identical.
- Increase in home values. Granite countertops give homeowners a boost in home value and attract buyers.
- Affordability Granite costs less than ever, and some varieties cost less than solid surface and quartz countertops.
- Variety. Granite is available in countless colors and shades, which means there is something for everyone.